Monday, November 5, 2012

Want to become a photographer? It's harder than you think!

I can't count on my hands how many times I have heard people on the street, as well as friends and family say, wow that's so easy, I could do that! Look how expensive this is! I could do the same thing by clicking a button and it wouldn't cost $3000.00. Ha!
Amazingly, most people think we just shoot pictures for fun for the day and never give a second thought as to what goes on after the shoot is over to make sure those photographs are beautiful works of art. I can attest, editing usually eats up at minimum 30-40 hours a week that I am at the computer finalizing images for a client. I want you to think about the following, and I am going to use an excerpt from a photographer responding to a bride who complained on craigslist about $3,000 for a wedding photographer, and how she couldn't find one that was "fun, professional, took great images, and readily available for her with decent prices". Click on the link below to read what she said.

Angry Bride's Post

 Here is just one of the many responses she received:




Dear Bride,

I am a wedding photographer in the Erie, PA area. Wedding season only last about 4 months here, so I photograph an average of 20 weddings per year for an average of $2,500/wedding (which totals about $50,000/year).
That being said, I am a small business owner, so I pay all of my taxes, totaling about $15,000/year, which leaves me with a gross income of around $35,000 Of that $35,000 I pay $600/month in rent for my small house and garage which I converted into my studio (which is where I would be editing your wedding images). $35,000 – $7,200 = $27,800
Then I have my car, which I would use to get me to and from your wedding, which I pay $400/month for the lease, plus $200/month in car insurance. $27,800 – $7,200 = $20,600
To get to your (and my other brides) wedding consultation, second wedding pre-consultation, the wedding itself, and to and from the printers I spend $840/year in gas money. $20,600 – $840 = $19,760
I also have $500/year insurance in case you sue me, or if any of your drunk guests would happen to break any of my equipment. $19,760 – $500 = $19,260 You also probably found me through my website, which I pay $30/month for hosting, and another $30/month so that you can view your photos online and share the images with your friends and family. $19,260 – $720 = $18,540
Or perhaps you found me through my advertisements in the newspaper or local bridal magazines, or a bridal show that you attended that I paid to have a booth at. $18,540 – $1,000 = $17,540
I also pay $250/month for my own health insurance in case I were to get hurt at your wedding. $17,540 – $3,000 = $14,540
I pay $200/wedding for a second shooter for your wedding, so that you can have more images and different angles, as to make sure you get the best images possible at your wedding. $14,540 – $4,000 = $10,540
I also need to have a new pair of shoes ($100) every season because my shoes get worn out and dirty from season to season. $10,540 – $100 = $10,440
I need high speed internet so I can upload all of your images online, my home phone for my business and my cell phone so I can communicate with you. $10,440 – $2,500 = $7,940
Oh yes, and I also pay a lawyer to make sure my contracts are iron clad and an accountant to make sure that I am paying all of the taxes I need. $7,940 – $500 = $7,440
Sometimes I attend workshops and seminars to teach me how to better my business, and make my client happier (that would be you), as well as keep up on the trends and learn new techniques so that I can make sure you have the best quality images available. That would technically leave me with about $7,000/year to feed myself, buy groceries, pay for my heat and electricity, clothe myself, etc. But, usually I end up reinvesting whatever I have left on upgrades and new equipment:
During your wedding, I bring my professional equipment that I use so that I can make sure you have the highest quality images.
I have 2 Canon 5D Mark II cameras (because you always need a backup in case of a camera malfunction, which would ruin your big day’s photographs) which cost $2,500/camera = $5,000
I also have quality lenses which can capture your special moments in low light situations:
  • Canon 24-70 f/2.8 lens = $1,200
  • Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens = $1,300
  • Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens = $500
  • Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro = $600
  • …and I have speed lights to catch the fun moments at your reception:
  • 2 x Canon 580EX II = $1,200
Also multiple battery backups and memory cards, lens filters, light stands, umbrellas, light boxes, external battery packs and a bag to carry everything in = $1,500
Because this is equipment, sometimes I need to have it serviced or cleaned to make sure it is all working properly = $200
After spending 8-10 hours at your wedding, I then come home to my home office and spend about 20-25 hours editing your images, creating your album, blogging about your wedding, posting pictures on Facebook, ordering you prints and burning your DVDs.
I edit your photographs using a 27-inch iMac computer = $2,500.
I edit your photographs on Adobe Lightroom ($200) and Adobe CS5 ($400 for the upgrade and $900 for the new program).
I print your DVDs on a printer which costs $300 and which uses $200/year in ink.
I buy the DVDs and jewel cases you’re getting printed for $300/year
I archive all of your photographs on 2 x 2TB external hard drives = $500.
I also back up all of my photographs online so if there was ever a fire in my office, you would never lose your photographs = $400/year.
I also have office expenses as far as buying paper, staples, envelopes, packaging, filing cabinets and files, etc…
I also spend time and money ordering your prints and albums, paying for shipping, going to the post office etc.
All of that being said, I’m usually in the hole at the end of the year, and take on many family portraits, senior portraits and corporate jobs in order to make ends meet.
Photography is my passion and my livelihood, and it is also expensive. Yes, it seems like a lot of money for one day, but one day isn’t all we spend on your photographs or on our business. You will spend thousands of dollars on a wedding dress or flowers or a venue or on catering which you are going to have for only one day, but your photographs will be the only thing you have to remember that one day for the rest of your lives.
I’m extremely insulted by your craigslist post and hope this sheds a little light on why we charge $3,000 for one day of your memories that are going to last you forever.
– Nikki Wagner, Photographer
</ br> Read more at http://www.petapixel.com/2012/01/26/why-wedding-photographers-prices-are-wack/#ThzUqfE6y11biPc3.99
Please read further down the page to see the wide array of responses from both professional photographers and from consumers. I know this argument stands for both sides but I hope to someday help people realize we are really not trying to rip them off. We strive to create wonderful pictures, and even though we love photography, love doesn't pay the bills.
I personally do not charge enough for photography since I started. I want to charge more, just because I am tired of paying people to do their pictures so to speak! When I get done with my 30-40 hours of editing, plus 1-3 hours shooting time, 1 hour driving time and gas to get to the location, and not to mention the time I am forced away from my family while I hunker in solitude at the computer, sometimes I ponder if photography is really worth it1 I love photography so much that it keeps me going. Seeing the smiles and tears on my clients faces from the images I provide them makes it worth doing all over again. However, I am ready to start getting a paycheck at this point, so I am also fixing to raise my prices to cover my expenses as well as getting paid a salary.
Starting as an amateur and moving up to a professional has taught me a lot of lessons in the last few years. First of all, you can't just pick up a brand new DSLR and know what the hell you are doing with it! I learned photography on film SLR's so merging into the field after taking a break for a few years was difficult to say the least. I had to buy all new equipment to keep up with the demand of the public, and now it's time to upgrade again. Of course, I did things a little differently from the person up above. I bought all of my equipment used from craigslist when I started. I still spent a whopping chunk of change, and it was money I really needed to pay bills with, but I couldn't get back into the field without my camera, lens, lights, and props. I keep my costs low by renting out studio space when I need it at a local studio. I hope to have my own studio one day but until I am making enough money it's just not going to be a feasible expense for me. So what I do is take my equipment and set up in my clients home (not the best set up for portraits but I can make it work), go outdoors and take pictures at the parks, or rent out a studio on special occasions.
Most photographers have more expenses than I do and for good reason, especially a wedding photographer! They have to carry so much equipment just in case something fails, and they have to be on their feet for 8-10 hours and be ready for any special moment that might happen. I am not so brave as to venture into that field. Way to stressful, and like the article above, I don't want to have to argue over prices. However, charging just $25 for a DVD full of images won't work either I have found out. In fact, even charging $100 for a DVD full of images still won't work! Every dime I have made has went right back out the door in the form of advertising, taxes, equipment, gas, and maintenance. So far I have yet to draw a single dollar in actual salary since I started over a year ago
The first think to know about starting a photography business is that you probably won't make much money your first year. You are getting established and people are out there to compete with that are charging less than you. You have to pay for insurance and other things that costs you money out of pocket to start just to protect yourself, and figure out your target audience to market too
I would highly suggest that you read up on running a small business for photography before you consider starting it, as well as making sure you are very knowledgeable about taking pictures. The last thing you want to do is agree to be paid to take someone's photo's and then mess them all up
I actually did that to begin with, I bought a lens and I didn't have my camera settings correct. It looked ok through the viewfinder and on the DSLR screen, what could go wrong right? Plenty! Not a single image was in focus. I had forgot to turn on the auto focus to save time from me using manual focus at a previous shoot. I was sick to my stomach, and had to give the family all their money back or reshoot the images. When I called them to tell them, I found out they lived in California and it wasn't possible for them to come back for a reshoot. She understood and let me keep the money though which was very nice of them. However, most people won't be that understanding, and you had better live up to what you say you can do.
I never wanted to experience that again so I always double check my equipment now, and I bought a back up camera in the off chance something happened to mine. I wouldn't suggest you start taking pictures until you at least have two cameras and a couple back up lens. It's better to be safe than sorry. Another point to bring up here is your contract. Always have a contract on hand and make sure it's signed and agreed upon. This will protect you in case something happens as well. A contract will stand up in the court of law, a verbal agreement typically will not. There's no shortage of people willing to sue you if you mess up their pictures. Be careful and make sure that you are protected!
If anyone else has anything to add, please post a comment below, I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment